With the official first day of summer right around the corner, I find myself fixated on skincare more than usual. I have to deal with a range of skin issues (hyper-pigmentation, breakouts, dry skin, oily skin, etc.) because my skin is temperamental, to say the least, and as such, I’ve had to do a lot of research, along with trial and error to find solutions that really work for me. I have to work overtime in the summer to keep my skin hydrated while controlling oil, smooth, and glowing. I’m going to make a Summer Skin Series to share how I combat, and address all of my skin’s issues using mostly natural products. Hopefully, I can get some feedback and tips from you all as well!
One of my all-time favorite treatments when my skin is going crazy, is this Lemon, Honey and Baking Soda mask. I love this mask, because it’s natural, inexpensive, and very effective. Lemon helps to brighten your overall complexion and help fade dark spots, baking soda gently exfoliates and softens skin, and honey is a natural antibacterial agent that helps to heal, soothe and even moisturize the skin. This mask can be done once a week to reduce enflamed acne, minimize redness, and clear the build up of dead skin — and, the best part is, you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry!
What You’ll Need
- 1/2 Lemon (fresh lemons work best, but you could also use a teaspoon of lemon juice.)
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Mix lemon juice, baking soda, and honey together in a small dish. You should end up with a paste-like consistency. If it’s too runny, add a bit more baking soda.
- Wash off all makeup, dirt, and debris with your regular face wash. Pat skin dry.
- Apply the mask mixture to your face and neck using circular motions.
- Leave on your skin for 5-15 minutes. You should feel some tingling and tightening of the mask. If your skin starts to burn, remove the mask immediately.
- Remove the mask with a lukewarm washcloth, using circular motions until skin is completely clean.
- Close your pores! Use the coldest water you can stand on your washcloth, and pat it across your face. Pat dry.
- Moisturize with your favorite moisturizer (I recommend coconut oil)! If you are leaving the house after using this mask, make sure you use a moisturizer containing sunscreen, or apply a separate sunscreen.
Once you rinse off your face, your skin should immediately feel smoother, and look brighter! If instant gratification is your thing, then you’ll definitely be pleased with the results from this mask.
If you have sensitive skin, I would highly suggest testing out a patch of your skin, before applying this to your whole face.
If any of you try this, let me know how it worked for you! And, if you have any skincare suggestions for me, leave me a comment!
Enjoy your facials!